Tuesday, April 7, 2009

& Life Goes On.....It Always Does!


So my oldest child is only 7 and I am having to deal with kids breaking up.

Not my own, but if you have an extended family like mine then you will know that nieces and nephews move from b/f or g/f and then back again at a regular rate anymore and well my family is no different.

I have soo many mixed feelings and have had them for a very long time about my children and their hearts. You might wonder what I am talking about, read on and you will see.

Some years ago I received a book called I Kissed Dating Goodbye, written by Joshua Harris. Of course my library is pretty diverse, and I haven't read each book. Some I have flipped thru, some half, and well I'm sure you get the picture.

While I did not read this one, I get the idea of it from reading the back of the book and now that my kids are getting older, I am going to have to get it read.

To give you an idea of it's contents, here is a review:

Amazon.com Review
While most Christians agree to seek purity and save sex for marriage, few have been given a blueprint for how that should affect their view of dating and love. In I Kissed Dating Goodbye, Joshua Harris exposes the "Seven Habits of Highly Defective Dating" and offers a realistic outline of how to have a biblical vision of marriage. Harris contends that one must begin with a new attitude, viewing love, purity, and singleness from God's perspective rather than thinking that love and romance are to be enjoyed "solely for recreation." In such well-named chapters as "Guarding Your Heart" and "What Matters at Fifty," Harris encourages the reader to look at one's character rather than reveling in infatuation, to regard love as a truly selfless, biblical act rather than a feeling. He refutes the concept that we are victims of "falling in love" (that it is beyond our control), saying that "God wants us to seek guidance from scriptural truth, not feeling. Smart love looks beyond personal desires and the gratification of the moment. It looks at the big picture: serving others and glorifying God." Before you roll your eyes, moaning that this sounds terribly unromantic, know that Harris does a superb job of couching his convictions in the sincere belief that if we are purposeful in our singleness and date with integrity, a fulfilled marriage awaits us--in God's timing. --Jill Heatherly --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title


Personally, I did not have to go through what most teenagers experience time and again every year in their lives and school careers. Most adults went through it all and think it 'NORMAL' that their kids go thru this phase just as they did.

I don't want my kids to experience things on a level kids today have grown to
accept as the norm. This is simply because it isn't and doesn't have to be accepted as such. I feel strongly about this, as I know this is going to shape them into a life I would rather they not live and shape them into people I would rather they weren't.

I always tell friends and family alike that anyone who wants to get to my son or daughter are going to have to go through me first.

& whoever will be close to my kids, close enough to even be considered for a permanent or semi-permanent place in their life is going to be like a member of our family first.

Most people let alone kids and young adults do not accept responsibility for their choices in life, and there is no sense of accountability for anything they say and do.
So why in the world am I going to just hand my kids over to another who will act and react in life without thought of repercussion or outcome further than 5 minutes from now.

I cannot even begin to demonstrate here with the many stories in the news about kids being cyber-bullies, or groups of teens corralling one child into a secluded area only to physically as well as emotionally scar them -forever.

Before I rant on and on, I will close with these thoughts.

If we do not protect our children from a society that wants to rape and pillage everything of value from them who will?

I do not accept that 'DATING' is the way to go, not for my kids anyway; my children will be given and shown to see many other things to do with their lives besides the roller-coaster most kids ride today.

There will be plenty of time after they find direction in life, for them to see that someone for them to share their life with is out there looking too. Kids deserve to be kids, enjoying life as only a child can.

Don't rush to grow up my child - I love you and will help you in anyway I can for as long as I am able.
~Love Always, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging with Breeze
Blogging with Breeze

Marjke Slideshow

Slide Show

Some of My Favorite Songs


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones